Monday, July 19, 2010

Rededication

This is the first fresh post for the new blog and it's going to be only about my new “health-style”. Well it’s not new, per say, but just reborn. Let me 'splain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up (you get fun points if you know where that came from); I fell off the wagon. No, actually, I think I jumped.

It all started when Mama had major surgery back in September & was out of commission for 3 months. I got up at the same time (between 5 & 5:15 AM) but between getting her set up for the day; breakfast done, lunch ready to pop in the microwave, supper in the slow-cooker, kitchen cleaned up...I didn’t have time to walk or even hit my weights in the house. At night (I get off work at 6 PM) I’d come home do some veggies and after we’d have dinner & clean up it was usually around 8 and to be honest, I just didn’t have the energy to do anything but shower & hit the sack. After the holidays I realized I’d put on 5 pounds…not a happy girl. I’d decided to get back in the saddle however the lovely sub-arctic seeming weather we had kept my lazy cold natured backside in my bed as long as I could. After the spring thaw guess what…more surgery. She’d developed 4 hernias around the incision which took her out of the game for another 2 months.

The day she had the first surgery I weighed 235.…today I weigh 250. That’s 15 pounds!

I’m not making excuses….well maybe I am. I’m just so frustrated and mad with myself. I’d lost 40 pounds and now I’ve put almost half of that BACK ON! Ok, in the beginning it was legit…taking care of someone took precedence, but what about in the time since then? There‘s really no excuse for that except that I‘m lazy. The only thing to do is start fresh and I took the first steps to that last week. When I came back from vacation I knew I had to do something.

First thing I did was get rid of the 36 ounce glass I used at work & traded it in for a 16 ounce. Yeah, I was going up stairs a couple of times a day, but now I’m going up & down 2 flights of stairs about every hour. My co-worker doesn’t like it much but we’re talking 5-10 minutes at most. I’m trying to decide how much I care about her disapproval….yeah.

Next was new shoes. I actually had to buy new sneakers on vacation because I left mine in the hotel we stayed at (decided flip-flops made more sense for 10-12 hours & forgot to get my sneaks the next AM). In the Sunday paper I saw that K-Mart had Rock N Fit sneakers on sale. Not only are they supposed to help tone your legs and even your abs, but they’re supposed to help relieve stress on your joints. When you’ve broken 1 ankle twice, popped the Achilles’ tendon on the other and have rotten knees (bad genes…thanks Daddy) something like that really gets your attention. I was skeptical but they looked cute & $20 for sneakers is a good deal. I got them Wednesday and let me tell you these bad boys work! I wore them to work Thursday & Friday and normally when I get home my ankles & the tops of my feet ache but I’ve gotten used to it. NOTHING! I wore the all day Saturday (my shopping/errand day) and after being on my feet off and on from about 2-7 PM and when I got home my feet felt fine. I plan on hitting the track tomorrow morning and I believe that’s where the story will be told. In the spirit of full disclosure, when I woke up Saturday morning my ankle was swollen & hurting but I realized it probably had more to do with bumming around in crocs after work & around the house. It didn’t happen on vacation, didn’t have my crocs, and I didn’t wear the crocs all day Sunday and no swelling. Even I can do that math on that one.

I’ve got to get back to healthy eating. Not that I’ve been tossing back the junk food. I just haven’t been as conscious as I had been; when I get a craving for something sweet, I’d eat ice cream instead of yogurt or when I wanted something spicy I’d grab spicy Doritos or chips instead of pretzels & salsa. I’ve started back with the Healthy Choice frozen lunches instead of leftovers. These things are pretty tasty. Lower in sodium than most frozen things, and there’s a great selection. If you want to try them, go to their website you can see the variety and get coupons.

I’ve GOT to start exercising again…that’s all there is to it. If I don’t get my butt off the couch, it doesn’t matter what shoes I wear, how many trips up the stairs I take or even how healthy I eat, it doesn’t accomplish much if I don’t move.

It’d be easy to use all of the reasons -- as legitimate as some may be -- as an excuse for not doing what I know I should have been. But the bottom line is, if I want to do this, if I want to be healthy, it’s up to me not someone else and I’m just wasting time and I don’t know why I’m waiting, I really don’t. When I was exercising everyday -- or even every other day -- I felt great, I slept great and the aches that I had gotten used to weren’t there 95% of the time. Life is too short to wait. I can’t wait for the perfect time, the perfect day, the perfect weather…. Yes, I’m putting off getting out of bed, putting off the soreness that I KNOW will happen that first week but what I’m also putting off is getting healthy and getting into shape.



Rock N Fit Shoes: http://rocknfitshoes.com/
Rock N Fit Shoes on Twitter: http://twitter.com/rocknfit
Healthy Choice: http://www.healthychoice.com/
Healthy Choice on Twitter http://twitter.com/healthy_choice

1 comment:

  1. Great post and thanks for the shout outs! Healthy lifestyles start with mentality. Glad to see you're in the right frame of mind :) Keep us posted on your progress as we are humbled to be involved in your healthy lifestyle.

    The focus of our social media is to listen. We love women to engage in our health/wellness community because it helps empower everyone! Good luck and you can also find us at http://facebook.com/rocknfit

    ReplyDelete